Monday, April 7, 2008

Rules suck, but rules save lives!

In Response to Jason K. B.'s opinion on TSA
I have my days too when I'm cranky, but seriously? Okay, I'll agree with one thing before I get started. Many things that make it through TSA's system shouldn't. Knives, guns, etc. should never make it through. That shows that many TSA employees aren't doing their job. Like many other government workers, laziness rules and customer satisfaction is a myth. Now for what I don't quite understand.

Telling us to remove our belt is a government "bitch-slap"? As a former Police Officer, the one thing I thought was ridiculous was how many people hated cops, unless they needed us. One day I confiscated a kid’s pit bull for attacking another dog in their neighborhood, and that kid’s parents wanted to press charges. However, a month late they were quick to call us when their neighbors were playing loud music. They didn’t want the rules to apply to them. Everyone hates rules. Oh, rules are evil. I'm sure many people aren't aware of some of the things that are caught through TSA's system. Small one-shot pistols can be disguised into the front of belt buckles. Depending on what kind of shoes someone’s wearing a non-metal knife could be hidden in the sole. If the shoes are removed and x-rayed then that cuts down on how many try it. Sure someone could still hide that non-metal knife on their person, but you are also subject to random pat downs at any time. There are people who want to scare us, but there are people out there who also want to hurt us. Now it would be great if these people wore t-shirts saying, “I’m an evil man who’s hiding a weapon so I can hi-jack a plane”. But since we’re not afforded that benefit, we kinda have to check every person just make sure we don’t miss. Yes it sucks to throw away two Red Bulls I just bought before heading to the airport. Rules suck, but rules save lives. By the way, I think those T-shirts are available at Spencer's.

No comments: